Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Weights aren't weights

When it comes to lifting for size, the general consensus is that the heavier the weight the bigger your muscles will get! This is NOT the case.  In fact the muscle doesn't have a clue how much weight is sitting in your fists. All the muscle can recognise is the applied effort and the resistance.

It doesn't make you any bigger throwing those heavy weights around like your life depended on it. It is much safer and beneficial to use a slower controlled movement with a lighter weight to get to your desired reps.

I have been guilty many a time at the gym picking up the biggest dumbbells I could possibly swing so I didn't look like a weak little kitten. But the fact is to the bigger, more experienced and educated lifter, the contrary applies. Don't look like the other idiots in the gym, pick a weight you can handle.

Bye for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment